Docks & Mooring Structure Permits

Property development is increasing on Alberta’s lakeshores. Shoreland development can have cumulative, detrimental effects on lakes and lakeshore areas.

An Alberta Government Temporary Field Authorization (TFA) will be required for placing a mooring structure for personal recreational use in Crown owned-bed and shore, for longer than 14 days.

Alberta Government Fact Sheet
Request for Client ID Application
Application for Temporary Field Authorization

Note:  This is an Alberta government requirement. If you have questions regarding a client ID or the Temporary Field Authorization, please call Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-645-6308.

The County cannot advise individuals on what the province will require or approve. 

If you are not the waterfront landowner, the province requires written consent from the waterfront landowner before an authorization may be issued.  In many instances, this may be the local municipality if the waterfront property is a municipal or
an environmental reserve.

If the applicant requires a Municipal Letter of Consent from the County, please provide a completed copy of the TFA Application to Smoky Lake County at


  • Currently, there is no fee charged for a municipal Consent Letter under this Provincially mandated policy of the Alberta Public Lands Act.
  • There is a possibility that at some point, the current Docks and Mooring Structures Guide will be replaced by a Disturbance Standard in the near future. If this happens, this page will be updated accordingly.